This route is part of the 3-day Gostinu - Calarasi route.
Basically, out of the 102 km-route, we can make a route for the inexperienced, for families with children and people with disabilities, to cover a short distance of 10 km.
Thereby, we will have relaxing route in the middle of the nature, we will strech our muscles and admire the nature.
Departure is from Gostinu, in Giurgiu County, and we will paddle until we reach an area with an exit point in order to be taken over by our ground team.
The fortress was built in the period 1390-1395 during the reign of prince Mircea the Elder. It was conquered by the Turks in 1490, transformed into the Ria, and led by them over 400 years, along with an adjacent territory of 10-15 km. He endured more than 20 sieges and was temporarily liberated by the princes Dan II, Vlad Dracul and Vlad Tepes in the 15th century and then by Michael the Brave in 1595.
After its restitution in 1829, it was partially demolished by the Russians and destroyed by the citizens of the city.
The archaeological researches were carried out between 1954 and 1997. Several significant artifacts were discovered, including the oldest artillery piece on the territory of our country
The clockmaker's tower is a relic from the time the Ottoman Empire held control over this Danube port.
Bearing a public clock, the tower was the tallest building in the city at that time, built in the geometric center of the territory, considered a rarity in our day.
The tower has been under Turkish control for 30 years, but it has been built according to the European plans of the strategists of those times. It is not a Turkish architecture, but a design inspired by the French style architecture. Built in 1771 in a different form from the one we can see today, the tower was part of the city's fortification system. Being the tallest building in the area, the tower was the main point of surveillance for advancing the enemy's army.
The Clock Tower underwent a re-consolidation process at the end of 2005 and the works were completed in 2007. On this occasion, the clock was replaced with a new one, the original being kept at the "Teoharie Antonescu" History Museum in the city Giurgiu.
Nowadays, the Clockmaker’s Tower is the symbol of Giurgiu, this monument being represented on the county coat of arms.
The Bridge over the Danube, also known as the Friendship Bridge, is a steel beam construction over the Danube that connects the city of Ruse in Bulgaria to the city of Giurgiu in Romania (488.7 kilometer on the Danube).
It was built in 2.5 years by Bulgaria and Romania, in collaboration with the URRS at that time.
The bridge has a length of 2.80 km and crosses the Danube at a height of 30 meters above the water. It is built on two levels - for trains and vehicles. The middle of the bridge over a length of 85 m can be raised to allow large ships to pass.
The bridge is one of the two bridges over the natural border created by the Danube River between Bulgaria and Romania, which is about 500 km long. The architecture of the bridge belongs to the architect Georgi Ovcharov, and the artistic decors - the portals on the Romanian and Bulgarian shores and the eagle heads along the whole length - are made by the Ukrainian sculptor Mihaylo Parashchuk.
The Friendship Bridge was officially opened for operation on June 20, 1954, representing the largest combined bridge (provided by rail and road for motor vehicles) from that time in Europe.
In 1966, the current building that houses the theater called "House of Culture" was inaugurated. Several years of cultural competition followed, supported by the most important collections in Bucharest at that time: Variety Theater, Opera, Romanian Opera, Philharmonic, National Theater, Bulandra Theater, Nottara Theater, etc.
The grand hall with 480 seats was overcrowded, while the small room housed the town's library, which was moved here from an insidious space on Garii Street.
Under the administration of Mircea Cretu, the institution changed its name in 1993, thus becoming the "Valah" Theater, and the annual "International Festival of Theaters in the Danubian Cities" was organized, an event that reached its 15th edition.
Today, theater lovers can enjoy plays with well-loved Romanian actors such as Mircea Cretu, Basil Thomas, Giulia Carla Ionescu, or Alecsandra Anca, actors in the Tudor Vianu theater team, led by playwright Mircea M. Ionescu. The songs are staged both locally and country wide, stagings are organized annually, as well as participation in international festivals.
Comana Natural Park was founded in 2004 and is located in the south of Romania, at an equal distance between Bucharest and Giurgiu.
From the point of view of the relief, the Comana Natural Park is situated on the border between forest and forest steppe, a natural setting that gives the park special phytocenological characteristics and a great variety of flora.
The Comana Natural Park is the third marshy area of importance in southern Romania, after the Danube Delta and the Small Lake of Braila. The age of relief formation and the peculiarities of the river system have shaped the pre-existing plains, resulting in the appearance of the current relief, characterized by relatively wide and deep valleys, situated at an altitude of 42-45 meters and a flat plain, at an altitude of 90-95 meters. The forests of the Comana Natural Park account for one third of the park's surface and are remnants of Vlasia Forests - the forests which over a long time covered much of southern Romania, including the city of Bucharest and Ilfov County - kept in a relatively compact body.
The 8,023.5 hectares of forest have provided optimal conditions for the maintenance and development of a large number of rare plant species, animal organisms or characteristic habitats.
The work was commissioned by The “Cult of Heroes” Society, a branch of the former county of Vlasca, and was executed with the help of the public contribution.
The author of the project is the Romanian architect State Balosin. The foundation was put on August 15th, 1926 the works were completed in 1939, when the mausoleum was officially inaugurated.
The interior of the mausoleum, on the ground floor, houses three crypts, relics of 350 identified Romanian heroes who lost their lives in the battles in the county in the autumn of 1916, and 69 German soldiers died in the hospital in Giurgiu in 1916 -1918, whose names are inscribed on the seven white marble plates.
Together with them, in an ossuary, the relics of 4,000 unidentified Romanian soldiers are preserved today, plus the bones of a Bulgarian officer who died in 1913, as well as the relics of three French soldiers belonging to colonial troops dying in 1918.
The conservation status is very good, the monument being restored and re-opened on 7 December 2007, with the contribution of the National Hero's Office.
In World War I, the losses suffered by the Romanian army have been estimated at over 500,000 soldiers, deceased, injured, missing or deprived prisoners.
Gostinu Beach is a sandy stretch near the Danube, near the village of Gostinu, about 20 kilometers from Giurgiu and about 80 kilometers from Bucharest.
The beach does not offer a particular landscape, but takes advantage of the fine sand and the fact that the Danube's water is gradually getting deeper. You can reach Gostinu by car, and there are conditions for camping in the area.
Gostinu Beach stretches over 1.5 kilometers in length and can reach a width of up to 100 meters during dry summers. Access to the beach is not marked and the road is not asphalted. In addition to the beach, right in the middle of the Danube, a sandy island rises, which is accessible in about 50 meters by deep water to the waist when the river is low.
The last "virgin" beach of the Danube "is surrounded by a forest-side, where you can rest yourselves protected from the heat of the sun.