Calarasi - Giurgeni trip

Calarasi - Giurgeni
  • 3 days
  • difficulty: Avansati

The route is designed for people with experience with kayaking on the Danube. It's a difficult route in terms of having a great distance, 133 km, so the physical effort shall be significant.

The route takes 3 days, starting at Calarasi (Automobile Beach), at km 370 of the Danube, and the line of arrival at Giurgeni, in Ialomita County, at km 237 of the Danube.

Departure from Calarasi, from where the route to Cernavoda shall be the route of route 7, Calarasi - Cernavoda - we shall pass near Lake Oltina, Lake Danube, lake Vederoasa, we reach Cernavoda where we take up the Danube passing by the towns of Capidava, Topalu, Ghindaresti and Harsova, until we arrive at Giurgeni, our arrival line.

During this 3-day route, we shall have 2 camps; we shall try to find suitable places to install tents at relatively equal distances, so as not to make it difficult for one day. Thus, we shall probably spend the first time on Island Ostrov, and the second night shall be somewhere in Seimeni.

Touristic objectives in area

Lake Calarasi (Iezer Calarasi)

Lake Calarasi has an area of about 5,000 ha, of which 500 are the areas of the water mirror. Within the natural area, the red-breasted goose is of particular interest, but also interesting are the pelican, the little egret, the grey heron, the mute swan, the common moorhen.

The area is populated by songbirds such as the great reed warbler, the sedge warbler, the bearded reedling, and the common reed bunting.

European white water lilies, frogbits, and four-leaf clovers can be seen on the surface of the lake.

The main ecotourism activity in the area is birdwatching, but there is no specific tourist infrastructure to that end.

Another recreational activity that can be practiced is sport fishing in natural lakes and artificial ponds.

Museum of the Lower Danube, Calarasi

            The museum is located on 4 Progresului Street in Calarasi, and is organized in two sections:

The Department of Archeology and Thesaurus was opened on June 9, 2012. The area of the section was designed and equipped with state-of-the-art modern equipment that ensures security in accordance with the legislation in force. This modern equipment has made it possible to present for the first time extraordinary fragments of the Museum's Treasure, a patrimony that illustrates the evolution of the Danubian communities from prehistory to the end of antiquity.

A series of Neolithic archeological pieces (Boian pots and glasses, figures belonging to the Gumelnita and Hamangia cultures) and numismatic pieces discovered on the territory of Calarasi County are exposed to the general public, such as the Bosneagu thaisene tetradrachma thesaurus, the discovered Romanian republican denarius treasury in Jegalia and the treasure of Bora made of gold and silver coins from the 16th century.

The museum features ceramic elements, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic figures, winds, tools, fragments of neo-eneolithic edifices from the archaeological site Sultana-Malu Rosu, anthropomorphic painting from the Roman age, collections of Roman lutes, gilded ceramic objects and Byzantine jewels from “Pacuiul lui Soare”, the ancient and medieval numismatics

The Art, Ethnography, Restoration and Conservation Section - whose heritage includes 518 interwar and contemporary creations, such as paintings, sculptures, graphics and decorative art);

The museum has over 43,000 pieces, including 25 Byzantine and Medieval gold coins;

Permanent exhibitions can be seen in the museum, such as: "Art and magic, life and death in prehistory at Lower Danube", "Rituals and rituals from Lower Danube, World of the Living, World of the Dead", "Boian Civilization" , "An Unknown Civilization: Gumelnita";

The Lower Danube Museum building is an architectural monument of the late nineteenth century;

Calarasi Zoo

The zoo in Calarasi is one of the largest in Romania, in terms of the surface and the number of species that can be seen here, some of which are unique in the country.

It is the only zoo in Romania where the jaguar, the Siberian tiger and the Emu ostrich are reproduced. Also, the zoo in Calarasi owns unique species, such as the hippo and the Alaska bears (grizzly).

Visitors passing the threshold of the zoo in Calarasi can enjoy an impressive number of species of animals, mammals, birds, exotic fish, exotic reptiles, etc.

The newest building in the Calarasi Zoo is Aquaterrarium, a construction that totalizes a collection of aquatic animals: exotic fish, exotic reptiles, snakes, crocodiles, etc.

It was founded in 1980 on June 1 and was opened under the administration of Gheorghe Tatavura, who brought some mammal species (wild and domestic) as well as a collection of exotic birds belonging to him.

Calarasi Beaches

Thanks to its strategic positioning on the Danube, Calarasi enjoys several beaches, where tourists and locals can enjoy a dip in the Danube.

One of the most popular and appreciated beaches in the city is the Great Beach due to its fine sand. The Great Beach is close to the central park in Calarasi.

Equally appreciated and frequented in the summer, there are also Youth Beach and Automobile Beach, the latter located 4 km away from the city.

Lake Red Valley (Lacul Valea Roșie) Calarasi

Thanks to its therapeutic waters, Valea Rosie Lake is an important tourist area. It is also a protected area.

Valea Rosie Lake is a salt-water lake, formed in natural conditions, being located near the commune of Mitreni.

Due to its therapeutic properties, hundreds of tourists arrive here every year for treatments. Its waters rich in sodium and sulfur, but also vegetable sludge have very important therapeutic properties.

Being a natural lake, its surface is quite enlarged - stretching over 14 hectares. In its basin there are many fish species. We can mention Romanian carp, cruciferous carp and phytophagus. That's why many people around, as well as “fishing-addicted” tourists, come to these places to enjoy the fish caught.

The ruins of Vicina Fortress Calarasi

Vicina Fortress was built between 969 and 976 during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Ioan Tzimiskes, a solid construction, the only fortress of the Byzantine Empire in Europe that resisted the passage of time.

Vicina fortress initially occupied an area of 5-6 hectares and probably had a trapezoidal shape.

Historians confirm that over time the fortress had the role of a customs and a defensive fortress in the Dobrogea area. Vicina Fortress represented the house of the imperial war fleet and military garrison.

The durability of the fortress walls was given by a special technique used during the construction, called the wood substructure, which was used due to the position of the fortress on alluvial terrain.

The walls were built of profiled stone blocks, the gate on the north side of the city showing obvious Byzantine influences.

The sunshine of the Sun, the Danube Island on which the fortress Vicina, one of the most important sights in the coastal area, is situated 9 km downstream of Ostrov. Sun's pile combines history, nostalgia, beach and desert, being perfect for those in transit who are looking for peace and relaxation away from the tumultuous echo of everyday life.

Access to the island is only possible with locals who own boats, and camping is prohibited. You can also reach the Vicina fortress with the kayak.

Museum of Civilization, Gumelnita

The Gumelnita Museum was founded in 1957 after a donation of 902 archaeological pieces by Barbu Ionescu, an accountant who was the first director of the museum until 1968.

Museum collections have grown significantly, reaching 15,500 archaeological and numismatic objects.

The building of the museum was built in 1926 by the architect Ion Cernescu. The initial destination of the building was to host cultural events, and then part of the construction temporarily housed the National Bank of Oltenita and the County People's Council.

The exhibited materials are part of the Neolithic culture of Gumelnita (stone tools and deer horns, ceramic figurines, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic vessels, harpoons, stone axes, plastics), treasures of the first millennium AD, jewelry treasures at Colibasi and Chirnogi.

The main exhibition includes objects belonging to civilizations that have evolved in the center of the Romanian Plain, such as the Dudesti culture discovered at Casciorele and Vasilati, the Boian culture illustrated by the discoveries from Spantov, Casciorele or Vladiceasca.

A special place was reserved for the presentation of the Gumelnita civilization, which received ample space within the museum.

The collection of the museum is displayed on the sites, so that the visitor will be presented with the vestiges of each community in order to form a complete picture of the occupations and way of life of man from ancient times.

Constanta Aquarium

Opened in 1958, the Constanta Aquarium is located at 2 Elisabeta bd., and is open daily from 9 am - 19.30 p.m. Tourists who want to visit the aquarium must pay an entrance fee.

The Constanta Aquarium hosts over 60 species of Black Sea fish, the Danube Delta and the Siutghiol, Tasaul, Corbu, Sinoe, Golovita and Razim lakes located north of Constanta.

The most important is the sturgeon collection, one of the largest in the world.

St. Mina Church, Constanta

Built between 1995 and 1997 by carpenters craftsmen from the Maramures region, in authentic Romanian style according to the plans of the architect Nicolae Moga, the Church of St. Mina is the largest wooden church in Romania with a length of 26 m and a width of 12,19 m, covered by a 42.67 m tower that can easily be seen from several points in the city.

Many pairs of young people from Constanta and the region choose to unite their destinies in front of the altar of this place of worship, due to the intimate atmosphere created by this church, and due to its location in Tabacarie Park, on the shore of Tabacariei Lake.

The Great Mosque of Mahomet II, Constanta

Mosque of the Great Mahomet II is located on 5 Arhiepiscopiei st, in Ovidiu Square. Built in 1910 by King Carol I, the mosque is the seat of Mufti, the spiritual leader of the 55,000 Muslims (Turkish and Tatar) who live along the coast of the Dobrogea region.

The building combines Byzantine and Romanian architectural elements, making it one of the most distinctive mosques in the area.

The central part is a large Persian rug, a gift from Sultan Abdul Hamid. Weaved at Turkey's Heritage Crafts Center, this is one of the largest carpets in Europe weighing 490 kg.

The main attraction of the mosque is the 50 m high tower (tower), which offers a stunning view of the old center and the harbor.

Five times a day the muezin ascends the 140 steps to the top of the minaret to call the believers to prayer.

Dolphinarium with Micro reservation Constanta

The Dolphinarium is one of the most visited and popular tourist attractions in Constanta, both children and adults. The Dolphinarium is a tourist destination as well visited both in summer and off-season.

Next to the Planetarium Building, the Astronomical Observatory and the Micro Reserve, the Dolphinarium is a beautiful and interesting part of the Constanta Museum of Natural Sciences Complex, located on Mamaia Boulevard, at the intersection with Soveja Street.

The Dolphinarium was inaugurated on June 1, 1972, representing at that time the first museum of its kind in Romania and Southeastern Europe.

At present, the Dolphinarium remains the only place in our country where you can relax by watching a wonderful show whose protagonists are dolphins, sea lions and penguins. The main actors were the dolphins Chen Chen and Ni-Ni, both females. Initially, three dolphins from China were brought in 2010, the two present today, and Pei Pei who died in 2013 at the age of five.

Roman mosaic edifice, Constanta

The building is situated behind the National Museum of History and Archeology and offers a beautiful view of the Constanta harbor cranes from its windows.

It shelters a novel mosaic discovered in 1959 during works on Ovidiu Square, and is a vestige of the terrace of a huge commercial complex (market and warehouse) built as a connection between the city and the port.

Its 800 m2 area is covered by geometric and organic motifs.

Below were baths dating from the same period (4C-6C) whose structure still can be admired.

Archaeological vestiges indicate the existence of workshops, warehouses and shops in this area. Remains of Roman public baths can still be seen nearby. The waterworks brought water to 9.5 km to the city.

The museum exhibition provides collections of goods found in store buildings: anchors, bars, weights, amphoras and paints, statues, collections of earth lamps, marble, polymorph mosaic pillars.

The Romanesque Edifice with Mosaic can be visited on Ovidiu Square no. 12, for a fee of 10 Ron. Opening hours: summer: daily, except Monday, between 8:00 - 20:00 and winter from 9am to 5pm.

The Genovese Lighthouse, Constanta

Rising to the sky on a height of 8 meters in Ovidiu Square, near the Casino, behind the Navy Command, this lighthouse was built in 1860 by Danubius Company and the Black Sea to honor the Genoese merchants who set up a thriving community of maritime trade here in the thirteenth century.

The monument has a diagonal shape, and was built of natural stone blocks. The top of the dome is decorated with elements pointing to the cardinal points.

Hunchiar Mosque, Constanta

This mosque was the first building in Romania built of reinforced concrete. Over time, the reinforced concrete rusted; the tower and the dome restoration was completed in 1959.

Built between 1867 and 1868, on the order of Sultan Abdul Azis, the mosque was built of tiles made from an Ottoman bridge that was destroyed in 1828. Its architecture reflects the Moorish style and the interior still retains original Oriental ornaments.

Constanta Arts Museum,

Established in 1961, the Art Museum exhibits over 7,300 masterpieces of contemporary Romanian art - paintings, sculptures, ceramics, porcelain, upholstery and furniture.

The museum's exhibition presents a century of Romanian art, ranging from the works of Theodor Aman and Nicolae Grigorescu to those of Ion Jalea and Corneliu Baba.

If you walk the threshold of the art museum, you will have the opportunity to discover the Black Sea and Constanta through the eyes of the artists who portrayed them.

The Constanta Art Museum is located on Blvd. Tomis no. 82-84, and is open from Wednesday to Sunday, between 10 am - 6 pm (October - May - 9 am - 5 pm). You will pay an entrance fee.

Marine Museum, Constanta

            Chronologically organized in four sections, the Marine Museum presents graphics, molds, old and modern ships, navigation tools, documents and photographs. You can find here a hollowed canoe from a single tree trunk, a 16th-century sailboat, a 17th-century earth globe made in Venice and Greek triremes.

            The open-air exhibition, featuring real-size anchors, propellers, engines, surface and anti-aircraft guns, offers a wonderful panorama of Constanta Harbor.

The Marine Museum can be found on 53 Traian Street, and can be visited from Tuesday to Sunday, between 9 am - 5 p.m. An entrance fee is charged, and an English guide is available on request.

The House with Lions, Constanta

Combining pre-Romantic and Genovese architectural styles this late 19th-century building features four columns adorned with imposing sculptures that depict lions. In the 1930s, its elegant salons housed the Masonic lodge in Constanta.

Ovidiu Square, Constanta

            The most well-known square in Constanta (and a venue place) honors the first important Romanian poet, Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso).

Emperor Roman Augustus exiled Ovid to Tomis in AD 8.

Ovid's bronze statue, designed by the Italian sculptor Ettore Ferrari in 1887, adorns the market he calls it.

An exact replica of the statue can be found in the city of Sulmona (Italy), the birthplace of the poet.

Ovidiu Square is surrounded by cafes, bars and restaurants with terraces, with a different specificity, very popular among locals and tourists.

Constanta Casino

Finished in 1910, according to the plans of architects Daniel Renard and Petre Antonescu, the Constanta Casino is a stunning art-nouveau style with Art-Deco accents suspended on a cliff overlooking the Black Sea.

The pedestrian area around the casino is the city's most popular promenade.

The casino has been closed since 1990 and needs major restoration work.

Considered in its own time by Monte Carlo of Romania, the Constanta Casino is today one of the most beautiful abandoned buildings.

Dobrogea Gorges

 Dobrogea Gorges are some of the oldest rock formations in Europe (limestone dating from the Mesozoic period). In the past, the area was covered by the Black Sea and coral reefs.

The Canyon is 40 km away from the Black Sea coast, covering a total length of 10 km and an area of 300 hectares.

Two important paleontological caves are Cave La Adam and Cave Gura Dobrogei.

Gorges of Dobrogea have been declared a natural reserve, and climbing is forbidden.

Agigea Marine Dunes

The Agigea marine dunes, covering an area of 6,300 square meters, were declared natural reserve in 1939 by botanist Ioan Borcea.

The dunes have formed over thousands of years, the sand coming from an old Black Sea bay, to be deposited here, where today there is a part of the former Agigea Lake, this phenomenon being unique in Europe.

For this reason, biodiversity in this area is unique in the world. In addition, tourists can also visit the old bunkers dating back to the Second World War as part of the coastal fortifications built as strategic areas against the German ships attempting to enter the port of Constanta or attack the coastal area.

Carsium Fortress, Harsova

Harsova Fortress is one of the few fortresses on this segment of the Lower Danube, which operated, with minor interruptions, for 18 centuries in the same area.

Most likely, the old fortress was built in the second half of the first century and rebuilt by Trajan at the beginning of the second century, then by Constantine the Great, then by Justinian. In the 13th century the settlement was dominated by Genoese and then included in Wallachia. Since the mid-fifteenth century it has been an Ottoman fortress.

Remains of the medieval fortress, as well as Ottoman towers protecting the city are still visible today. The walls of the medieval port, as well as the remnants of the old port facilities, are still seen on the Danube.

Anghel Saligny Bridge, Cernavoda

Anghel Saligny Bridge (formerly King Carol I Bridge) is a Romanian railway bridge crossing the Danube connecting the regions of Muntenia and Dobrudja.

The bridge is included in the National Register of Historical Monuments.

The bridge was built between 1890 and 1895 over the Danube, the Borcea Danube Branch and Balta Ialomitei, and after its completion, with a total length of 4.087,95 m (13,411.9 ft), it became the longest pod in Europe and the second largest in the world.

The bridge was designed by the Romanian engineer Anghel Saligny, whose name he bears today. The two towns on the banks of the Danube River where the bridge was built are Fetesti on the left and Cernavoda on the right.

The entire bridge was inaugurated on September 26th, 1895, and as a test at the opening, a convoy of 15 locomotives crossed the bridge at a speed of 60 km / h, followed by a train reserved for "guests" at 80 km / h.

Route map

UE RO GOV BG GOV INTERREG