The 1-day route to Belene is suitable for people with experience with kayaking on the Danube.
Although it is not a difficult route, it is a busy day route where we shall cover a distance of 22 km on the Danube.
The participants are transported by the organizing team to the starting point in Belene together with the equipment and luggage for the whole team.
We shall fall into a loop and we shall be able to see the protected natural areas Persinski blata and Persin-Iztok. Right next to this area we take the return path, which shall be against the current, so the effort shall be much greater.
The Fortress Kaleto (aka "Shsihmanova Fortress") is located on the western hill of Nikopol, overlooking the town.
It was initially built by the Romans as a border fortifying post, and Nikopol was then built around this fortress.
The fortress has been found to contain artefacts dating back to the XIth century, from the Roman, Bulgarian, and Turkish periods of occupation.
Kaleto Fortress was declared a cultural monument in 1965.
The Rock Church of St. Stephan is located in the "Plavala" locality, 1 km east of Nikopol. The church is carved into limestone rocks and there are lots of old inscriptions and drawings from the period of the rise of Christianity (III-IV century). In X - XI century it was part of a monastery complex.
In 1976 the area was declared a historical and named "The Rock Church", with an area of 1 hectare. In 2003 it was re-categorized in natural landmark with the same name.
Nowadays there are 33 panoramas all over the world. One of them with the biggest dimensions is constructed in Pleven and was officially unveiled on 10 December 1977.
The memorial is devoted to five-month battles of Russian army during the Russian-Turkish war 1877-78 as a result of which Bulgaria was liberated from the 500 years of Ottoman yoke. The Pleven Epopee 1877 Panorama depicts these events combining painting, plastics and architecture in a whole art work. The combination of the canvas (115/15m), the foreground (12m) and the illumination creates a feeling of authenticity and empathy to the battle fought on 11 September 1877.
Working time of Pleven Panorama: 9.00 – 12.00 a.m. ; 12.30 – 5.00 p.m
The Pleven Regional Historical Museum, founded in 1953, is one of the largest museums in Bulgaria. The museum is situated in a two-story edifice near the centre of Pleven that is a monument of culture of national importance and has an area of 7,000 m². Its main stock includes over 180,000 units and the museum library houses over 10,000 volumes of scientific literature and periodicals.
Officially museum was open in 1953 as State Historical Museum and from 2000 it is converted to Regional Historical Museum - Pleven covering the territory of Pleven and Lovech region.
In the museum are exhibited finding, cultural and historical monuments, nature samples, the flora and the fauna on the territory of Pleven region.The exposition is arranged in 24 halls containing over 5000 museum valuables, which in five sections - Archeology, Ottoman oppression and Bulgarian Revival, Ethnography, New and Contemporary history, and Nature.
Address of Regional History Museum Pleven: 3, Stoyan Zaimov str, Pleven.
The remains of fortress Storgozia are located in Kailuka Park near the city of Pleven. It was built in the late antiquity (IV-VI centuries) by the Romans and was with area of 31000 square meters. The fortress walls were 2 meters wide made by solid stones. Inside the fortress there were many residential and administrative buildings. In the eastern part there are remains of an early Christian basilica which was second largest after the king’s basilica in Pliska.
Still preserved and restored from Storgozia fortress are the defence system, the basilica and the horeum.
“Holy Trinity” is a church in the town of Pleven.
In 1870 residents of Upper Pleven consider building a new temple. A church cell was originally built, serving for nearly 40 years of religious activities for school children from the area.
Fundraiser for the temple began in 1873, but political and financial reasons delaying construction for 20 years in 1893 established a committee to take care of the preparation and construction of the temple. The committee is headed by the mayor Hristo Danailov. The project for the church was made by the city architect Vyacheslav Gavarda. Construction was awarded the Entrepreneurship of Tryavna Ivan District.
The construction of the temple continued for 19 years and was consecrated on May 14, 1912.
The association was created in 1891 under the name “The hunter”. The main activities of the hunting association were the fighting against the predators and poaching, as well as organizing shooting competitions (shooting glass balls and live pigeons in particular made rules). In 1930 the association bought the house of the businessman Metsoloou in the centre of the town of Pleven. Nowadays the house serves as a museum.
The waterfall Reseleshki “Skoka” is situated at approximately 1, 2 kilometres north – west from the centre Reselets towards the village Breste, the district Pleven. The waterfall is situated at approximately 200 meters under the valley of the river Belikata. From the top of the waterfall there descends an asphalted road alongside the foot path long of approximately 100 m, and at its base there descends a foot path after the passing of the river. The height of the waterfall Skoka Reseleshki is of approximately 10 meters. Unique in connection with the waterfall is the fact that the rock from which fall the water formed a dried cave behind which there van be seen through the back of the river waterfall. In the place where the water falls there was formed a beautiful rock water, the chalkstone column with vegetation.
According to the geologist experts in the geological phenomenon of Bulgaria, the waterfall Reseleshki Skoka is formed in the chalkstones of Kalenskata. It is practically the section of the Kretacic superior from the area. The rocks are chalkstones with many barks and traces of gastropods, Bryozoa, brachiopods, crinoids, sea urchins and other organism which populate a part of the coast at a small depth from the sea, the Kretacic Inferior Gulf at approximately 85 million years ago.
The remains of Roman military caste "Dimum" are located in the northern part of town of Belene (north of the "Vasil Levski" school).
In the I-st century Dimum was a very important point of the Roman province of Moesia.
Even during the regime of the first Roman Emperor Augustus the fortress was the most north-eastern point and boundary of the Roman province of Moesia and the Thracian kingdom. From the beginning of the II till the end of III century here was stationed military horse camp - part of the Roman army, which probably has built the fortress.
In 1968 Castle Dimum in town of Belene was declared a monument of national importance.